By Lulu Abdun, Summer Programs Associate at Volunteer Odyssey
We all enjoy the rockin’ and rollin’ of Elvis Week, so why not rock and roll your way into volunteerism? Don’t be “heartbroken”…Put on your “Blue Suede Shoes” and volunteer! Here are several ways to volunteer during 2016’s Elvis Week (August 10-16).
In honor of Elvis Week, here are some music-related opportunities:
- Share your love of music and improve the experiences of visitors at the Levitt Shell.
- Be a docent at the Blues Hall of Fame.
- Promote Porter-Leath’s 5K for Pre-K at the Elvis 5K
Here are other non-music-related opportunities to get involved in during Elvis Week:
- Serve a nutritious meal at St. Mary’s Soup Kitchen.
- Be a farmer for a day at Roots Memphis.
- Feed those in need with Catholic Charities at their Fig Tree Food Pantry or for their No Hungry Senior program.
- Spend a Tuesday at the Carpenter Art Garden.
- Give a ride to a cancer patient at American Cancer Society’s Harrah’s Hope Lodge.
- Create art with the homeless at the H*Art Gallery.
- Encourage others to buy healthy products with the AARP Foundation’s Fre$h Savings Food Incentive Program.
- Make and deliver burritos with the Urban Bicycle Food Ministry.
- Help with the clothes closet, food delivery, and more at Jacob’s Well.
- Spend your mornings being hospitable at Manna House.
- Be an office volunteer at the International Children’s Heart Foundation.
- Deliver meals for MIFA.
- Plant some fun with Memphis Farmers Market.
- Team up to clean your beautiful city with Clean Memphis.
- Show your artistic side at the Carpenter Art Garden’s Tile Making Day.